My daughter does not nap anymore. I'm fighting it to the death but it seems that my fight is becoming futile. Why is this? She's only two. She's tired. She woke up once in the night and then woke up at 5:30 am. You would be tired right? Why isn't she? I can chalk it up to various culprits, ie teething, but really, is she just done all together? Should I give up the nap and deal with it? I'm sitting here now listening to Roxie jump up and down in her crib saying, "Mommy wake up now" and I'm thinking, "How long could I leave her in there?" It's not that I don't love Roxie, I do, I just need a little break. I need to read my book. I need to close my eyes. I need to be alone. It's got to happen, right? Maybe today will be the day. Pray for me.
8 comments:
She must nap! No mercy!
No mercy indeed! Actually if it makes you feel any better, I often hear Elyette playing in her room for up to 2 hours before she finally gets in bed and goes to sleep. Which drives me crazy because by the time she does go to sleep is like 3pm or later which messes up her bedtime. Today she played for just over an hour before falling asleep. Anyway, maybe I'm hard core, but I would try a few times to see how long till she gets herself to sleep. You never know...I feel for ya! Good Luck!
Maybe you should try to tire her out more with physical stuff(even if it's running in circles) and have her practice writing or something that works her brain hard because when her brain and body are both tired, SHE'S GOT TO NAP! It may take a little more out of you, but it could be worth it. Keoni was the same way and I just accepted it, but whenever I really needed him to nap he would. It's really up to you. Good luck!
You know what I think--whether they are sleeping or playing, "BREAK TIME" happens daily for at least 2 hours. For both Grace and Caroline- if they fall asleep, perfect, if they sit in their beds and play with stuffed animals and read books, fine, but they are in there for the long haul. Call me a projects mom, but that is my sanity for the day and I need down time, like you said!
I want a nap too! So yes we have a blog. Hard part for us is we don't have kids and not a whole lot of things change. I switched jobs again and am now working full-time at Primary Childrens. They increased my pay and am paying off my tuition loan. They got me great insurance too. I guess I can't complain. I do have to tell you though: I remember talking to you about having great in-laws. I hear you. Mike's family is wonderful. It's nice to live close.
Carrie! I have a non-sleeper too! He has always been a horrible sleeper! Waking up at 5 and 6am his whole life. When the time changes he wakes up a 4am. It has been horrible, espcically with a baby around. I know how you feel! The first 4 months of Benson's life were a wreck with no sleep at all. Ethan was up all night refusing to sleep and then wouldnt sleep during the day either. We tried eveything until we were both so sleep deprived that neither of us had patience left and we started spanking and yelling. That only made everything worse. Finally we came up with a plan and stuck to it. Now he sleeps every nap time for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. He goes to bed at 8pm and wakes up a 7am. Unbelievable!!! I thought it would never happen. Life was so hard and then all the sudduen it clicked with him and he sleeps. My advise is Dont give up! Choose one parent to do the duty (Randy does night time wake ups) and then find a calm and structured plan and stick to it. It will click, but it will take time. I can't believe that my boys sleeps now. In fact I get nervous and check in on him just to make sure he is still breathing in there. Good luck, I know how hard it is and how bad you need the nap time break during the day. I'll pray for you! Jen
carrie- hi! it's me, tye. well, good luck with the nap thing. don't give up on the nap, even if roxie wants to- she still needs it-and you need her to have it for sanity's sake.
As for waking up at night and early in the morning, from what i've read (Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child), this is common in children who are not getting enough sleep- especially not getting enough nap time. so hopefully if the naps come back, the night-waking and early morning waking problem will go away.
if she is still in a crib and doesn't try to climb out yet, I think you have hope for the naps to continue. once they're out of the crib, i've heard it's difficult but still possible.
millie's still in her crib and sometimes struggles falling asleep. but she knows when i leave the room that i'm NOT coming back until after her nap. some days she takes an hour of playing/crying to fall asleep, but other days she goes right to sleep. the important thing for her is knowing i will be consistent- meaning i won't come in, even if she's crying.during times when i'm not consistent with this, i think she plays and cries longer because she knows i will be coming in. when i am consistent and don't come in- no matter what- she gives up on crying or playing and gets bored and goes to sleep. from the time i put her in there, she has to be in bed for at LEAST 2 hours. i sound like a tyrant, but she needs her sleep just as much as i need her to have it.
my sister's daughter, abby, is out of the crib so it's a little more of a challenge. she knows abby will get out of bed and play and never take a nap if it's her choice. so she stays in her room and reads a book until she falls asleep. abby knows she's not allowed to sit up or open her eyes while her mom is in the room. sometimes it takes up to an hour for her to fall asleep this way, but it's better than not nap at all. plus it gives my sis a chance to read during that time.
...good luck with everything!
I need my naps too. Eowyn stopped napping at about 2 1/2, but I had a woman in my ward who enforced naps in her house until they were 5. I try to at least stick her in front of a movie or something to get a kind of quiet time. She has to be quiet, and if I need a nap, I get one, or I can at least sit and read since I don't need to watch the Barbie movies 20 times.
Post a Comment