Saturday, April 5, 2008

Girls night out and hamburgers

The women in my family always had a tradition that during the priesthood session of conference, we'd go out to eat, order in, or just be together as a family. Having no family in the area, Roxie and I had a girls night together. It started with Ikea, Roxie's favorite place to try out new toys. We bought her a cool tent that she's had her eye on (pictures will be coming soon I'm sure). Then we headed to our favorite place to eat, In-N-Out. This is not the most classy place and I think that is why I love it so. Matt and I are obsessed with In-N-Out and who shouldn't be? The place is terrific. Great prices and good food. I even love that they only have limited options. It makes ordering that much easier. I remember my first In-N-Out experience. I was on a road trip with some college friends. We had gone to California to attend a friends wedding. Actually, an ex-boyfriends wedding but that's a different story. We stopped at In-N-Out and I was in love. I also could see that this place was different from what I was used to, as I asked for "fry sauce" and realized that is strictly a Utah delicacy. I am still being made fun of. Once I tasted that delicious hamburger and chocolate shake, I was hooked. Every time Matt and I came to Laguna Beach to visit his family, we made it a point to visit at least twice and usually stopped in Las Vegas for one more final taste.
I'm proud to say that Roxie apparently has the same fascination we do. She loves it! In fact, I have taken her only twice to McDonald's and both times she hardly touched her second class hamburger (sorry if you like McDonald's but seriously, in a comparison contest I think we all know who would win). I wish I had my camera tonight. She was eating her hamburger and fries like a born professional and she loves the "icceam drink". A girl after my own heart. So, I fully profess my love for In-N-Out. If Matt and I were ever to move, having an In-N-Out joint nearby would definitely sway our decision. What can I say, we're die hards.

I dedicate this post to my brother-in-law Lyle who, even though he lives in Utah where there are no In-N-Outs in site, still dreams of it all the time. It is a MUST whenever they come to California.

8 comments:

Brandy said...

love in-n-out. it was our first stop upon arriving in cali last month. i am also obsessed with fatburger. thier chocolate shakes are to die for and it is also fresh, but not as cheap. they opened one in edmonton and we go at least once a month, if not every week!

Melissa said...

Ditto on the love for In N' Out, even though I've only been there 3 times.

jayna said...

it's enough to make a girl think about heading back to the OC...just for some in n' out...

Margie said...

When I was in St. George last week I saw them putting the sign up for the In-N-Out there and thought about pulling over to take a picture of the monumental thought of one actually being in Utah soon. They had a hiring sign upon the building so it should be soon!

Mimi said...

mmmm... tasty! I love in-n-out! Was this the same road trip where it ended in a blood bath over how to pronounce "Rummikub"? I have to admit- I have not played balderdash since that weekend. Maybe it was a different trip, they all seem to run together.

Greg and Annette said...

So I was reading your older posts and realized that we still haven't seen pictures of Roxie's big girl bed in it's new painted glory. Did it get done or was it given up on?

Mimi said...

Ha! That is great... I seem to recall it was YOU who pronounced it wrong!! Yes, the vagabond, how could I forget?

Diana & CJ said...

Yummm, did you know there is a in-n-out knock off now in Utah. I forget what it's called but I've been there once & it really is just as yummy. It's the closest thing we have here to it so it will do.