Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Props

I have to give "props" to my friend Melissa who bravely posted about Prop 8 on her blog recently. I have many family and friends that are voting on the issue and am inspired by their strength to stand by a not so popular issue. Having just moved from California a month ago, Matt and I joked about getting out at the right time. But now it makes me think we were wrong in joking and I feel bad that we aren't there to help and do more. To read more about the Proposition go here or here.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Thanks, Carrie!

Chris and I were joking about "what if it fails?" We would just pick up and move out of Cali. Not really, but it would be one reason not to live here.

Arizona has a similar prop on the ballot this year, too.

emi. said...

thanks for your post!

Defining marriage as between one man and one woman is not taking away anyone's rights. The definition simply distinguishes a union that is biologically designed to produce its own children. Whether a married couple has children or not, I feel like this deserves a separate name--even the potential is kind of a miracle.

Actually this definition can be seen as the ultimate expression of equality our society has to offer: it takes one man and one woman. One could see a lesbian union as a marginalization of men, or a homosexual union as a marginalization of women.

Equality is especially important when it comes to raising children. Children deserve/need a father and a mother. Neither parent should be marginalized.

Yes, many children are already growing up in single-parent homes. Prop 8 should be a reminder to everyone that as a society we need to assist and strengthen families as much as possible. Really, as a society we should be most concerned with the success and health of our families.

http://emiliadelmar.blogspot.com/2008/10/legislation-and-social-issues.html

http://preservingmarriage.blogspot.com/