Thursday, August 14, 2008

Sigh of relief

We've been looking for a place to live for weeks now. I had no idea it would be this hard. We figured we'd have our pick of places to rent and could be really picky as to where we wanted to live. After weeks of disappointment and having houses snatched from under us, we realized that this was going to be tough. The problem is that we are out of state which makes it almost impossible to secure a good home before someone, that actually lives in Utah, looks at it and puts down money for a deposit. We've been so close to getting into so many places until some Utah local sees it and then we're back to square one. The same thing almost happened yesterday. We found a pretty perfect house in South Jordan that we were very excited about. After talking to the owner for most of the day and after my very gracious sister, Elyse, went and checked it out for us, we told the owner we'd take it! Only to learn an hour later that someone else had seen the house and after learning of our advances to move in, offered to pay the owner more than what she was asking for. Snatched again! Luckily, he turned out to be somewhat of a flake and didn't get back to the owner when she asked. The owner told us whoever gets her the money first wins. Let the games begin. Frantically Matt and I started calling in our favors. My parents ended up having to drive at the very last minute to Salt Lake with a check for the owner to secure the house. After seeing our diligence I guess she finally gave in and said we could have it, even at the lower price.

So, we are no longer homeless and have a place to live! Many thanks go out to Elyse, my parents and Amy who looked at houses for us and went to such lengths in finding us a place to live. We leave in less than a week and are excited to see you all. Now if we can just get this apartment packed....

7 comments:

Melissa said...

Carrie!! I'm so excited for you!! Thank goodness you'll no longer be homeless. I'll be calling you in a week, we need to get together! I'm sad I won't be able to go to the "desert/dessert" night.

brooke said...

Carrie, congrats on finding a place to live. We are thrilled for you guys and sad for us :(
We will miss you!

Jennifer said...

Yea for getting a place! Boo for packing. I HATE packing!!! Good luck!

maegan said...

Oh man, that is a relief! Congrats! We're gonna miss you guys (nice to know I can check in on your blog whenever though :)). Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Great for you! and sad for us. Best of luck and be sure to come back (see you April 1!)

Linda said...

It must be great to finally have things settled in the housing department. Hope the move goes well for you.

Greg and Annette said...

Welcome to Utah!