Monday, June 28, 2010

Thoughts of the bed

I couldn't sleep last night. My legs hurt. Maybe I have restless legs syndrome. The commercial thinks I do. That must be the problem. So, as I lay there with my restless legs I thought.

I thought about what to paint our bedroom. I want so badly to make my mark on this house. I want it to be different. I want it to be me. We bought a very non-descript house and I'm trying my hardest to make it more descript. Is that a word? A friend at Matt's work said that because we bought a newer, traditional "track" home that our chances of buying an older, historic home next are slim. That's our dream. To buy an old farmhouse on a bit of land and make it beautiful again. Do you think that's true? Because we settled for our newer home, we'll never get the old one? I hope not. I really want that farmhouse. With the porch. And the colorful rocking chairs on that porch. I have it all figured out. A thought.

A few days ago I was cooking dinner and listening to Pandora. Don't you love Pandora. I do. Except sometimes. Sometimes I'll be listening to a certain station and those geniuses over at Pandora will throw you an odd ball. Out of nowhere will come a song that doesn't make any sense. So, with chicken juices on my hands and no way to skip the song, on came "Back in Black" by ACDC. Also, Peter loves music (I couldn't be more proud) and he likes it loud. He's figured out the one button on the keyboard that will blast the music. He then shakes all around in happiness (again, proud). It was then that the doorbell rang. A neighbor came to ask a few questions and there I was with hands held up like a surgeon (because of the chicken) and ACDC blasting to high heaven. I quickly answered his questions and shut the door. I washed my hands and turned off the music. It's been plaguing me since. It's not that I don't have an appreciation for ACDC, it's just not who I am. You who know me, know I take music kind of seriously and having this one chance to tell someone who I am by what I listen to means a lot. ACDC would not have been my choice. But darn Pandora, I didn't have a choice. Does this man (and maybe his wife now!?) think that's who I am? What I'm all about? Cooking and blasting ACDC while my children play? I can't stand it. Yesterday at church I wanted to tell him. "By the way, I listen to some really cool stuff. Believe me. I'm cool." Couldn't do it.

Some thoughts.

7 comments:

jayna said...

I appreciated your "thoughts".

I know you're cool.

And if the track-home-curse were true, my farmhouse kitchen wouldn't be in the works right now.

Your house is lovely and you've only been in it how many months?! You'll make your mark on it yet, I know it!

Erin Leigh said...

ha ha, i can totally see this acdc music thing being a dilemma for me too. don't worry, those that REALLY know you would not bat an eye knowing that you really do listen to some awesome stuff. i mean, i know you do.

of COURSE you'll get your quaint farmhouse one day, i don't doubt it one little bit. just make it close by me.

Lilly said...

Ha ha ha ha ha! Who cares what some guys from the ward thinks? As long as YOU know who you are, that is all that matters, right? There is no need to prove yourself and how cool you are to anyone. Just being you will speak for itself.

If you want to buys a house with land, that is all up to YOU. Just because you bought the home you did does NOT mean that you will "most likely" do anything. You are in charge of your future and your destiny. If you get complacent and lazy and let your dream die, then yes, you will not live in your dream home. But if you want it and you hold on to it and you make it happen, it will happen. It's all up to you, lady.

Lilly said...

Oh my goodness, I am dying. I left your post up on my computer and Rob sat down and read it. Now we are blasting AC/DC and dancing in our kitchen. We didn't even know we owned a thing by AC/DC but lucky us, Rob found it in our itunes. Rock on. Power to the people. We are loving it!

krusson said...

You know...I tried to teach all of the my appreciation for the better music, Bach, Handel and Chopin, but I guess you must have been out playing then. Somehow, I can't see you rockin' to ACDC. Wish I had been there with a camera. Just don't be looking at any farmhouses too far away. One daughter leaving Utah is enough!!

Anne said...

We are two of the same, I'm farmhouse obsessed. I have this decorating book about farm houses that would blow your mind. Also I'm listening to Pandora right now. Your kids are so darling. Thanks for the well wishes of my fourth.

Natalee Maynes said...

I'm picturing the whole AC/DC thing and totally laughing my head off. Seriously this might have made my whole week. I feel like the whole track home thing is sort of inevitable for a while here in the great beehive state. It's just more of a phase than a life sentence. At least I hope so. :)