I took Peter to the doctors yesterday for his 9 month check-up. I've always known he's smaller than the average 9 month old and was expecting the usual 10th percentile in weight. He's been in the 10% his whole life. The first time the doctor told me he was in the 10th percentile I was shocked. Naturally, I questioned my mothering. Have I been feeding him enough? What am I not doing? Well, yesterday he was weighed and I was expecting much better news. Maybe he would get into the 20th percentile or even the coveted 50th. He's been eating solids and eats all the time. I figured we were golden.
6th. That's right. 6th percentile. And the 16th for height. What?! It's gotten worse! I'm very familiar with my doctor and know him quite well. When he told me Peter was in the 6th percentile I screamed LIAR! Not really, but I did suggest maybe he redo his calculations. I'm troubled. Is Peter destined to repeat my past. Always being mistaken for a younger version of himself? I understand that now it's not so bad but when you get pulled over by a cop and get asked, "how long have you been driving?" and I respond "about 3 hours" and he says (quite aggressively) "in general! What are you 16?"
I was 20. In high school I was nicknamed double stuff, fatso, and biggie. Get it? Get the humor? Hysterical. My children will look back at what people wrote in my yearbook and assume I was overweight. I know I'm lucky. I have a crazy fast metabolism. All my family does. It turns out, Matt has the same gene. No matter what he eats or how little he exercises he will stay the same weight. In fact, he joined a weight loss team at work and lost a decent amount of weight. He did nothing. Maybe Roxie will be more normal but I doubt it. She and Peter will most likely always be mistaken for being younger. I guess it can have it's advantages. I'm almost 30 and could probobly get a high school discount. If those exsisted. Blurg!
2021 Mother’s Day Card Printable
5 years ago
8 comments:
Kids have growth spurts and lulls all the time. Pete stank will be just fine. I would be lying if I said I felt bad for you, Double Stuff.
And I checked out those camp sites. It might be a tight squeeze but I think we can do it. ;)
Girl, I do hear you on this one. Except my fears are different...Lila's off the charts tall...which means she will surely be pushing 6 ft. as a College freshman at Ricks College...Can't wait to hear what HER roommates call her...not so much.
I guess this whole tall/little/old/young/skinny/chubby stuff is part of life and we have to deal.
At least Peter is smaller longer, which as his mother, should make you happy! :)
Davey is tiny for his age too (about 10th for weight and height)--and Quinn and I aren't that little. We're hoping for a major junior high growth spurt.
okay it kills me that matt lost weight in his work competition and didn't even do anything. come on! funny but at the same time, sad for those of us who gain weight at the mere mention of food.
peter is the cutest cutesies and i love that he takes after you in the small area - little buddy!
Nessa is average so I can't relate look the other girls can. But really I think he's adroable just the way he is. So he might be a little short, that's okay. His looks will make up for it.
Henry may be one pound less and 4 months younger than Peter but I guarantee Peter will be taller. We are just hoping that Henry will be at least 5'4" but seeing how I am taller than all of Michael's family I doubt it. Henry will probably be the stocky short kid in the class. So it could be worse.
Greyson is in the 1st percentile for weight. 1st. And his height is about 12th. Good times. You're hysterical, fatty.
nothing wrong with looking young!!! my first daughter wasn't even on the charts and is now 10-20% for weight... skinny little thing... but she can eat whatever she wants!! i love roxy's costume... we are heading to disneyland next week and mackenzie has her eyes on an alice costume... that's if they don't have a female deer costume (faline from bambi)... i really hope not...
Post a Comment