I have a love affair with music. For as long as I can remember I've been obsessed with it. A night or two ago, I was talking with friends about our first concerts. I have stocked up so many memories going to concerts. When Matt and I were dating we went to Built to Spill, it was then I knew he was marry worthy. I saw U2 in concert in Vegas with my brothers and sisters. I've seen Led Zeppelin (well not quite the whole band but almost) and Parliment. A highlight was seeing Radiohead (my favorite) and meeting some of the band, including lead singer Thom Yorke. (Sorry to all that don't know what I'm talking about).
However great these moments were, none were so great as my first. I was 15 and my older brother invited me to go to see The Grateful Dead. This was quite an honor. He only had so many tickets and he was a huge fan. I felt privileged that he wanted to share with me. Why on earth my parents allowed me to go still baffles me. Our first stop was Walmart, to buy yo-yo's to sell in the parking lot before the show. It was the craziest thing I've ever seen. People everywhere, music playing, items being sold. Everyone was so kind and sweet. I felt safe. We were able to sell enough yo-yo's to buy something to eat before the show started. But after tasting a bite or two of the burrito, I thought it best not to proceed. Something was fishy about that burrito.
We filed into the concert hall. My brother had bought tickets with all his friends, most of whom I knew. They were an interesting group of friends for sure but they all protected me like their own little sister. When the lady next to me started smoking something in particular, I was shuffled around and put in the middle of the bunch. Then there was the music.
I'm not the biggest Dead Head in the world. I don't know many songs. It didn't matter. The energy was fantastic. I had never experienced something so great. I was in love. In awe of everyone being here together, singing the songs they loved, seeing their idols on stage. It was a moment I'll never forget. It started something for me. Thank you, big brother, for sharing your world with me.
So, what was your first concert?
For instance, Matt's first was Kris Kross. How cool is that?!
2021 Mother’s Day Card Printable
5 years ago
5 comments:
I've never been to a concert-- I shall hang my head in shame.
Was it Dave Matthews? Or Counting Crows? I can't remember!!
Lilly-
I totally forgot about Counting Crows! That may have been the first. But I can't be sure.
Mine was Dave Matthews, 2002. That's right 2002. And it wasn't even a real concert- it was outside.
But The Killers, 2009, ROCKED!
You were brave to go to a hard-core concert though!
Me, I'm more of a KOSY kind of gal...
Concerts huh? The real question is have you ever been to an ABBA concert? I mean they are the most influencial music group in history!!!
Post a Comment