My good friend Coach was in a band at the time and had invited me to watch him play at a party (which was at a high school friends house, randomly enough). I really didn't want to go. I wasn't in a social mood but had made multiple promises to Coach to see them play and had broken the promises multiple times as well. I talked my friend, Jen, into coming with me. Meanwhile, Matt was with his friend Schyler and had heard of a party going on and decided to check it out. Apparently, Schyler and Jen grew up in the same town and started chatting after bumping into each other. While they were talking, Matt and I stood there feeling awkward so we started chatting. I first noticed Matt's hair. It was nice. I have a thing for hair. The second is the smile and Matt had a good smile. We immediately hit it off. We were listening to the music and were trying to out dance each other. I believe I had the better robot dance so I won. We hung out with each other long after Jen and Schyler stopped talking. At the end of the night I waited and hoped that Matt would ask for my number. He didn't. All he said was, "You know, I live in the apartment below the band so if ever you're in the area, drop by." Not the greatest way to snag a lady. I was put off by the line and decided that he had most likely repeated the same line to multiple girls at the party. Maybe this guy was not what I thought.
Thankfully, Jen convinced me to take him up on his offer, just to make sure that I was correct of my judgment of him. I gathered my courage and after an appropriate amount of days had passed, I "dropped by". Matt answered the door and didn't recognize me. I was pretty humiliated but he recovered quickly and invited me in. We talked for a few hours, after which I came upon the conclusion that Matt was not the type of guy that I had assumed and was most likely too shy to ask for my number at the party. We found that we had a lot in common and loved to talk to each other. Thankfully Matt mustered up his courage and asked me out on an official date. Good thing because I was running out of courage myself.
On our first date we went Disco Skating. This I knew I could look cool doing, which is why I suggested it. Turns out Matt was not too bad on the skates either. I could check that off my list of requirements. We had a great time and he said he'd call me. A few days after our first date was my birthday. I really wanted to see Matt again so I told Jen to invite him to my "surprise" party. Thankfully he was there... with a cake. Matt came with a very large, very good looking cake. I was impressed and my friends were confused. They didn't ask him to bring a cake and certainly not one of this magnitude. When it came time to cut this cake, I got the knife and was instructed by Matt to really go at it, which I did. I didn't get far as the cake was actually made of cardboard and frosted to look like a cake. Some of the guests at the party may have thought that Matt was nuts but I knew it was love. Who else would go to such effort? Who else could come up with such a brilliant design? It was over for me.We continued to see each other throughout the next few weeks and realized that we wanted to date exclusively. We dated for about 10 months before Matt proposed and were married 2 months after that, almost 1 year exactly to when we first met. And now 7 years have passed, we've moved more times than I can count, we have two beautiful children and we couldn't be happier. I love Matt more than ever and expect to love him more as each anniversary passes.
10 comments:
I love that cake story. What a funny guy. I know you probably told us about that at the time but my mommy dementia has caused me to forget anything that happened more than a week ago. You and Matt are great together and I'm glad you married him too. Happy Anniversary.
I don't think I have ever heard that story. We are very happy to have him in our family. We love him a lot.
Oh Matthew Rondell. We adore you Hobbits!! Happy Anniversary!
pssh, i was totally at that party too since i believe you made me go as well. thanks for remembering the little people! :)
but for reals, you guys are the bestest match in the world!
Disco skating and a fake cake. Love doesn't get any better than that. CONGRATS guys!
I remember you telling me you met Matt at a party through Jen's friend but I didn't know all of the details, like the disco skating part. Or about the cake, maybe you told me but I don't remember. This was such a good story Care, glad you wrote it down, it was fun to read. Matt & you are perfect for each other. Happy 7 years!
I have to agree -- that you two are a great combo! I've watched pretty carefully over the last 8 years and I declare "it's a great match". (You make beautiful babies also.)
Carrie on!!
Love ya both, Clare
Matt and Carrie
It is a very good marriage, that you two have created; durable, robust, and fun. And of course, the way-above-average children help.
Love,
Skip
The cake is hilarious! Such an engineer thing to do. I often find that people don't understand engineer humor and I know you can relate! We sure miss you guys. We hope we can visit you soon! And congrats to making it to 7 years so far. It still seems like you're newlyweds! :) Miss ya lots!
You guys are perfect together! Happy anniversary (late) and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!
Post a Comment