Monday, April 12, 2010

Yo what?!

TV watching around our house goes something like this:

"Ok Roxie. Mommy's going to go clean, what do you want to watch?"
Then Roxie will start listing all the programs that she's dying to watch but knows I won't allow.
"No, let's just watch Little Bear. He's cute and little and stays that way forever."
She gives a "humph" and watches her program.

One of the shows that I haven't allowed but she is yearning to watch is this:

I'm not really sure why I haven't let her watch it. 90% of my reasoning is the fact that Yo Gabba Gabba is a frequent guest on a show Matt and I watch called "The Soup". If you've seen The Soup you'll know that it makes fun of all kinds of shows on TV and it likes Yo Gabba Gabba because it's totally crazy and makes zero sense. Or so I thought.

One day we went through the same routine. Roxie wanting her show, me telling her no. She was begging to watch Yo Gabba Gabba once again and something in me just gave up. I let her watch an episode and I went upstairs to fold the laundry. THEN at dinner we were having asparagus and I thought, "there's no way Roxie is going to eat this". Instead of complaining and performing her usual antics, she picked up the long, green thing and took a bite! Matt and I just stared at her. She said "Yo Gabba Gabba was right. I tried it and I liked it." What?!

Apparently there was a song on the show that was all about trying new things because you might like it. This made me think. Maybe I ought to look into this show. After doing a little research on google, I found out that tons of people have been on the show. Hip stars were doing cameo's and bands that I actually listen to were coming on and playing silly songs. Could there be something more to this show than I thought? I'm going to let her watch some more episodes but I'm going in carefully. I'm not so sure about that big, red thing. He makes me nervous.

8 comments:

Lilly said...

Dude! Yo Gabba Gabba is the best! First off it's made by Mormons so that's pretty sweet. And Jack Black is on it like every other day! It's hysterical! And the kids clothes are freaking CUTE! The songs are stupid and mindless, but there are LOTS of good lessons to be learned. Kids eat it UP for some reason. If you can tune it out while it's on, you should be good to go. Yo Gabba Gabba!!!!!!!!!!!!

jayna said...

I totally don't get this show. It's like Telletubbies- you have to be 3 years old to understand what is being said! But Brigitte LOVES all things Gabba. She can name the characters- even with their weird names.

Jim Hutchings said...

Yo Biz Markie can never lead a child astray. I say go for it.

Melissa said...

I love Yo Gabba Gabba! We always tell Penelope, do the green beans want to go to the party, the party in your tummy?!?

It's kind of a shocker that you weren't on the Yo Gabba Gabba train ages ago, because you guys are so hip.

I like the birthday song by the ting tings the best. Have you seen that one? Youtube it.

Erin Leigh said...

dude, i did a for real LOL on this one. i can't believe you didn't get into this before. i've seen a few episodes and i can't wait for my kids to see it! elijah wood was on one and i still have a major crush on him. the songs are catchy and hip and fun. fun abounding i tell you! :)

Natalie said...

This is hilarious. When Ellie tells me something new, like "Mom, did you know dinosaurs are related to birds" or "I learned today that these are the signs for grandma and grandpa," I'll ask her if she learned it at school. The answer is ALWAYS "No, I learned it from Dinosaur Train or Barney or Sid the Science Kid." I swear television is her best teacher, which is really pathetic.

Cortney said...

this is the best show on television by far. It's like a hipper, cooler Sesame Street. You need to watch a few episodes yourself. I promise you will be entertained. I have the first season on DVD and my kids love the CD in the car.

"don't, don't, don't bite your friends!" how could you go wrong!

charlotte said...

D.J. Lance is my idol!! I used to hate the show until I realized that it is a parody of itself. Very smart.