Want to know what's weird? I have my best thoughts in the shower. That's where I make my list of things to do for the day because it's so clear to me for some reason while I'm washing my hair. If I have a problem to work out, it will always come to me in the shower. I only wish I could write it all down because I often forget once I'm out and dry. So, my thought today? This year makes ten years since I've graduated from High School. Wow. I was thinking about all the stuff I did. Some of it normal, some of it not.
My thoughts were this: I did a lot of crazy things that I can't believe my parents allowed me to do. I used to go camping over weekends with girls AND boys with no adults in sight. I was young too! The first camping trip was when I was just a little freshman. We used to do midnight hikes to the top of Mt. Timpanogos. I used to go to concerts that I don't think my parents were completely aware of. At least they didn't know what kind of crowd was going to be there, otherwise I don't think they would have approved.
As a parent now I wonder, will I let Roxie do the same? I want her to have those kinds of experiences because they really shaped who I am and I made a lot of great memories but seriously I don't know if I could let her! I grew up in Provo, was that the reason? Were my parents just to assume that nothing too terrible could happen when I was with other provonians? I don't know. I wonder if those days are over for kids. I remember being able to walk all over our neighborhood late through the night and never feeling nervous about anything happening. Can Roxie do the same? I would love to think so but I think things have changed. It's not so simple anymore. So, when she asks me if she can go camping with her friends, what will I say? Maybe I will be that mom that can tag along and be the adult but be the cool adult. I think not.
2021 Mother’s Day Card Printable
5 years ago
7 comments:
I totally know what you mean about ALL this! I always think about the things that I did when I was a kid and I know there is NO WAY I will let my kids do a lot of that. It really is just a different world. I gotta loosen up about it though because I do want my kids to have those kinds of memories too. So basically, I feel ya!
It's a tough line to walk...you want your kids to be sheltered, but you don't want them to be SHELTERED kids. Let me know if you find the answer next time you're shaving your legs.
That's it!! I'm tellin' Mom and you're grounded.
Dad
Hmmm, I haven't come across this type of thinking. I guess I figure Utah is way more safe than the Bronx so any shenanigans Vanessa gets into here won't be as bad as the stuff I could of got into. That can’t always be true though…now this gives me something to think about the next time I step into the shower
So, I take it this means you do sing in the shower as well! You should have Matt mount a dry erase board in the shower so that you can write all your thinkings on the wall while you are in there. Then you won't forget them all. Also the next time you get in if there's stuff still on it from the last time, it will be easy to wash off and start over. P.S. I always knew you were a little on the shady side.
I LOVE your dad's comment! Man you spent half of our childhood "grounded". I'll give you a nickel if you can remember my mom's word for grounded. Do you remember?? As for the post...Girl, I spend my LIFE wondering the same exact thing! I'll tell you though, I will be a lot more likely to let Maggie go to concerts and camping with boys if Rox is by her side ;) Love you!!
I find myself wondering the same things. And, I remember that trip to Arches when we were freshmen and some of the trauma of it. But, I also am grateful for the experiences, and feel that I didn't get into that much trouble. I just hope that I lay a good enough foundation that my kids are mature enough to know when something gets dangerous. I also think that kids need to be independent, they have to make their own decisions, I just hope I'll be able to let them when they're teenagers. Oh, and I think you should invest in some of those crayons for bath time, just grab one and write your to do list right on the wall, and wash it off when you're done.
Post a Comment