Thursday, May 15, 2014

My dad and why I hate cancer

A few have asked for details about what's going on with my Dad and this is the best way I can think to let everyone know what's going on. So. About a month or two ago my Dad was having a hard time swallowing. At first he assumed it was a sore throat but when the pain persisted and got worse he went to a doctor. He ended up getting a bunch of tests and an upper endoscopy where a mass was found in his esophagus that was malignant. More tests discovered that the cancer had spread to all his major organs (lung, liver, kidneys). He was given 6 months to a year.

It's common that by the time you start to feel symptoms of esophageal cancer the cancer has already spread so much through the rest of the body, which is why his diagnosis was so grim. He will do a few rounds of chemotherapy to help manage some of the pain he is having and to shrink the tumor in his esophagus. So, far he has done one round and starts the 2nd round of chemo today.

Given all this information and how sudden it all was, unsurprisingly April was kind of a dumb month. The chemo has been difficult but has helped with his ability to swallow which is good. We're all staying positive and enjoying the time we have together. If anything, it's made me realize how fragile and sweet life is. So, some positive things have come from this.

Anyway, that's it in a nutshell. Thanks to all for any support given and for being a friend when a friend is needed! I am very lucky despite all this.

1 comment:

jayna said...

I know everyone posted comments on your Facebook post about this but I feel this lonely blog and sad topic needs a friendly wave!

Sorry friend. So much love.